Friday, May 21, 2010

Revealing the Secret of the Art of Teaching

     Trying to see the world from the perspective of someone else is something I try to teach my children and my students.  It is also something that I enjoy doing as a teacher and a mother, often with humorous results.  I love watching my toddler discover new things like the meaning of  red lights and green lights.
    “The light is green, we can go mom.  Like Go Dog Go.”
     A simple concept that I follow automatically daily, but it's suddenly exciting as I watch him make connections.
    I asked my students to finish common ideas about teaching, education and learning.  Exactly what do they think it means to be a teacher?  Why is learning important?  Is education important?  Here are the results that I found the most enjoyable:

To teach is to... have fun. 
I like a teacher who gives you...no homework.
The moment you stop learning, you...start thinking.
I am always ready to learn, but...not ready for homework.
You cannot teach a... teacher.
Anyone who stops learning is...going to have a hard time later on.
 

The moment you stop learning, you...are free.
I am always ready to learn, but... I get sleepy.
The art of teaching is...getting stressed.
I am always ready to learn, but... I don’t like learning.
The moment you stop learning, you...throw a party at your house or mine.
The art of teaching is...hard.
You cannot teach a...dork.
The moment you stop learning, you...become a hobo.
The art of teaching is... getting the questions asked.
I am always ready to learn, but...learning is for kids.

You cannot teach a...math class if you don’t know math.
A good teacher is like a... manager.
I am always ready to learn, but...not really.
A teacher is one who...has had lots of school.
A good teacher is like a... mom always helping.
I am always ready to learn, but...I’m not always ready to fight.
To teach is to... have fun.
The teacher who is indeed wise does not...give wrong answers.
The best teachers teach from...scratch.
A teacher is one who... loves school.
The teacher who is indeed wise does not...yell.
The object of education is to prepare the young to...complain.

    And finally my absolute favorite:
        The secret of teaching...the teacher’s lounge.

No comments:

Post a Comment