Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mom a Three Letter Word

    The word “mom” is such a simple word.  Just three little letters.  The same forwards or backwards.  When spoken it can seem an endearment one moment and a swear word the next.  A tiny word that when shouted in public draws crowds and guarantees heads will turn.  A simple word that can create joy and dread in the hearts of  women. 
    “Mom,” sweetly uttered by toddlers, said in tones of awe by children, and gasped with disbelieving embarrassment by teenagers. 
    Mom, I’m thankful to be one, but sometimes dream of a moment to myself.  Mom, a different creature completely from dad.  Mom, a word that looks so simple, but is deceivingly complicated.

1 comment:

  1. Whew, you just summed up my 2 hour conversation with my 14 year old daughter (in crisis mode). Not sure if I totally just messed up motherhood or not. I'll have to wait like another 15 years before I'll know, I guess.

    ReplyDelete