Saturday, June 13, 2009

Why Hockey and Romance Don't Mix: A Cautionary Tale.

Saturday, March 14, 2009 at 11:47pm

My husband and I are a t.v. sitcom when it comes to romance. Hopefully he won’t be too offended when he reads this, but if he thinks about it he knows it’s true. (Our mothers worry about us.) There are many reasons. Three reasons have names- Rilyn, Alessia and Hewson. Another excuse is often money. Going out costs money and flowers cost money (Mike worked for a wholesale florist in college and knows how much flowers are really worth.) If there’s only so much money and choices have to be made, I’d rather spend it on hockey. He’d rather spend it on music or sports channels. Mike hates being told or pressured into being romantic by holidays, he says that seems fake. Honestly, we’ve gotten lazy. I can think of lots of reasons and excuses that we are not very romantic. (Yes Dear, I do remember the song you wrote for me. I wrote a whole other blog about it.)

Occasionally though we do make an effort and that is why I bring you this cautionary tale. We’re on Spring Break and though we are too poor to actually travel anywhere I checked out the specials at a local hotel. It’s called The Anniversary Inn and we had the pleasure of staying there once before. The Anniversary Inn is a fun establishment set up for romantic getaways with theme rooms and plenty of privacy. The first time we went we were lucky enough to have received a gift certificate. We were excited to use it, but put it off until the last minute. Suddenly it was December and about to expire, so I scrambled to get reservations and find a sitter. On the only night that worked I also happened to have a ice hockey game.

As we planned our evening I talked Mike into letting me play. The game wasn’t too late, I think it was at 7pm. He rarely came to watch me play, this was a perfect chance for him to see a game without the kids. We could check in early and spend a little quality time before the game. I could play and we’d still have all night. It was a perfect plan. Also, ice hockey is expensive, why waste the money I’d paid to play when we could obviously do both.

The day arrived. We dropped the kids off at my in-laws, checked in and explored our wild west room complete with covered wagon bed. A little over an hour after our arrival we headed to my hockey game. Now I won’t go into much detail here, I’ve blogged about my hockey addiction before, but I love hockey. I didn’t start playing until after I turned thirty and I’ve been playing about 7 years. I haven’t had very many injuries, I mean I’m always bruised, but not many sprains or breaks. I’ve had one really good black eye, one concussion and a separated shoulder. I think those are it. The night we went to the Anniversary Inn was the night I separated my shoulder.

Yep, I had convinced Mike to let me take a few hours out of our night so that I could play hockey and what happens? I get injured. The funny things about this event (yes, there were funny things) were that first, Mike rarely comes to my games. Good thing he was there because I couldn’t get myself undressed or drive to the doctor. Second, I got injured along the boards when some teenager rammed me into the wall and I got sent to the box. Third, I didn’t leave the game right away. I tried playing until I was sure I’d broken my collar bone and was worried I wouldn’t be able to play for a long time. I finally left the game, Mike helped me change and we went to the Instacare.
The Instacare took a couple of hours, but the good news was I’d only separated my shoulder. Then we drove around town looking for an open pharmacy to fill my pain killer prescription. None were open so we finally gave up until the morning. Next we needed dinner. We had planned to go out after the game before heading back to the hotel, but now it was too late. Our only option was fast food drive thru. I was in so much pain I didn’t care. We finally arrived back at the Inn and sheepishly returned to our room. It was a little embarrassing to pass the front desk. We’d left laughing and we were returning with me in a sling. When we finally got to our room we still made good use of it; just not how we’d planned or how most guests usually do. I spent most of the night soaking my aching shoulder in the huge jetted tub. Mike watched t.v. on the big screen without me complaining or kids interrupting.

So last week when I suggested the Anniversary Inn the only thing Mike said was, “Okay, but no hockey.”

No comments:

Post a Comment