Saturday, June 13, 2009

Go Forth and Conquer...Fourth

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 at 6:36pm

Today was the last day of school and like every year I have very mixed emotions. Fearing I would repeat what I said last year I reread what I wrote. Not surprisingly, I would have repeated myself because I have pretty strong feelings about being a teacher. So I think I should start by quoting myself from last year's blog (Something like Yours, Mine and Our Next Adventure):

Today is the last day of school. I can not tell a lie, I'm ready and I'm excited because I'm exhausted. I think what some people don't understand about teaching is how draining it is mentally and emotionally. Every September I fall in love with 24 new people. I get to know their strengths and weaknesses. I yearn for them to succeed, learn and grow. I study, plan, adapt, adjust, conference, brainstorm, pray, test and do many more things because I care about my students. And don't get me wrong, I like what I do, I'm just a little worn out by this time of year.

I feel the same way today. This year I only had 22 students, but beginning in September I started to get to know each of them and make them my own. I've spent months working, encouraging, pushing, challenging, teaching, preparing and learning with them. The goal has always been for June to arrive and for them to be ready to move on. I think they're ready, they might not be sure, but I am.

I liked how one observant kindergarten teacher put it last Friday,"They were horrible today. They're breaking up with each other. They're breaking up with you. They're getting ready for the end."

Change is never easy, but often it is good. I'm not really sad. I'm excited for them and I know that they're in good hands next year. I also know that there's another group of 3rd graders waiting for me in a few months, after I've regrouped, reorganized and recuperated.

No comments:

Post a Comment