Monday, January 11, 2010

Today's lesson: Color Poems

     Once again trying to set an example as a writer as I teach writing.  Today's writing lesson was Color Poems.  Color is used to express and represent so many things: personalities, emotions, smells, sounds, tastes, holidays...  The object was to express a color without coming right out and telling the reader the color.  Here are my poems from today:


I smell of squishy, fresh mud and grainy sand storms.
My dust tickles noses and makes eyes itchy.
I am rough, scratchy bark and strong, smooth leather.
I tint many curls and eyelashes.
I am thick, creamy chocolate milk and a greasy hamburger.
I am the crunch of a nut or the tapping of a stick.


I flash suddenly and quickly to your cheeks,
telling people you are embarrassed.
I help celebrate the 4th of July
and many other holidays too.
I smell of rose petals and cherry chapstick.
I can taste like peppermints, spaghetti or watermelon.
I feel like a scratched knee or Santa’s velvety suit.
I sound like a heart beat or a siren.


Last year's attempt.

I can be as cold as snow or as warm as fur.
I enjoy the North Pole and grandpa’s scruffy face.
I’m an oval egg or a round golf ball.
I smell sweet like sugar
and I’m as soft as cotton.

This one is from two years ago.

I stain the knees of soccer and football players.
I color the leaves that shade you in the summer heat.
I command cars,
and many consider me lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment