Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Morals From the Third Grade

     It's that time of year again.  Once again I have asked my class to finish fables and share morals.  I do this each year as we study Ancient Greece.  Some years are more creative and interesting then others.  This year the "Car" morals were overall the same, darn it.  This is the third year I've published my results.  I think the "Bee" fables are the best.  Enjoy!

UNFINISHED FABLES

Read our conclusions and morals to these three unfinished fables.


One day, a computer said to a mouse pad, “You are nothing without me!  I have all the circuits, all the software.  I am the reason that you exist.” 
“Ah,” said the mouse pad, “but….

...If you didn’t have me you would be broken.
Moral- Everybody is just as important.

...I’m not attached to you.  I can be beautifully without your circuits and software.
Moral- Circuits and software don’t matter.
        
“...without me the user will not be able to access the software,” said the mousepad.
Moral- They can’t survive without each other.
           
...without me who could get to the sights?   How could they turn you on?  How could you read your GMail?  See you need me to be great.
Moral- You need help to be great.
                              
...without me you couldn’t move.
Moral- Don’t brag.

...if you did not have me you would not even be much, so we both need each other.
Moral- Nobody is better than any other person.

...without me there would be no point in using you.  People wouldn’t be able to move the arrow.  Without me you wouldn’t exist.
Moral- Don’t brag to others

Three bees were hovering around a flower one spring day when a woman walked by.  The first bee flew away in fear.  The second bee, believing that the woman did not notice him, decided to sit still and see what happened.  The third bee…

…flew and sat on the top of a bench.  The woman sat on the same bench and noticed the third bee.  She swatted him and ran away in fright.
Moral- Always stay with people you know.

...was the youngest.  He stayed there too.  The second bee pushed him out of the way.  “Stay back,” she said,”I’ll attack the human barbarian.”  She tried, but died.
Moral-Never fight something dangerous.                   
                         
...decided to hide and watch while the second bee got squished.
Moral-If something is dangerous hide or make a good choice and go on with your business.
   
…started buzzing around her head, annoying her and having a fun time.  Then she pulled out a fly swatter and hit him.
Moral- Don’t annoy someone constantly just for fun.
       
…started dancing.  Then the woman killed the dancing bee.
Moral- Never dance if you are a talking bee.
       
…was mad with the first and the second bee and stung the woman.  He died right after.
Moral- Don’t take your anger out on someone else.
       
…started to break dance for the girl, but the girl saw him and killed him.
Moral-If you’re a bee, don’t break dance in front of a girl.
       
...went up to say, “Hi,” and the lady screamed and swatted at him.  Luckily, she missed.  The bee flew away.
Moral- Never talk to strangers.
      
...Stung the lady.  The lady crushed the bee.
Moral- Do not sting people.
      
...stung the woman as hard as he could.
Moral-Never hurt
       

3. One day an auto mechanic was working on a car that had broken down.  The mechanic was puzzled because he could not figure out what the problem was.  He tried everything he knew, and still the car would not run.  Finally, he threw up his arms in frustration, saying to the car, “How do I make you work again?”  The car replied…


...give me back to my owner and I will work again.
Moral-Never talk to a car.
      
...come in and honk the horn five times.  So he did and it worked.  The car said to to back up.  So he did and he ran into a tree.
Moral-Don’t listen to a car.
       
...If you give me oil then i’ll help you.  So he gave it some oil...and the same thing happened again.  The whole time the car was trying to trick him.  so after the car drank that oil he drove away.
Moral-Don’t talk to a car.


...put the blue wire to the red in my roof.  So he did and made it break even more.
Moral-Never listen to a talking car.
       
...give me some chocolate and then I will run.  Well... ok, but you have to promise to run.  “I will, I will, don’t worry.”  So he gave the car chocolate, but the car was tricky, so he didn’t run and the mechanic was so mad!
Moral- Never give a talking car chocolate
       
...give me your wallet and your bank account and everything will be ok.
Moral-Never listen to a talking car.
       

...I am a stubborn car and I will only work if you feed me apples.  The man didn’t have any apples.  So, he got the very expensive ones.  Then the car said, “Heh, no.”
Moral-Never give apples to a talking car.

...”I-I-I s-s-swallowed a-a-a h-h-hobo.”  “That doesn’t make you work!!!”  cried the man.  The hobo jumped out, he was chewing on the engine.
Moral-Never trust a hobo
                 
...you make me work by giving me love.  The mechanic said, “What is love?”  The car answered, “Love is appreciation.”  Then the mechanic gave him love.
Moral-Love is important
      
     And those are just a few example of how the mind of a third grader works.

No comments:

Post a Comment