Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Ramblings From My Sickbed

Before I begin this blog let me state that I have been sick for about 10 days as of today.  Now, I don't tell you this because I want sympathy, though it's much appreciated, I tell you this to let you ponder how many hours of television I have watched.  Between naps, drug induced spurts of sleep and some reading, I have tried to distract myself with LOTS of television.  I'd read more if I could fix two things.  First, if I'd known I was going to get sick I would have brought home more reading material.  Second, sometimes my head hurts too much to read.  Many an hour has passed with the t.v. on just so I could listen to it, so I didn't feel alone.
Having said that one t.v. show I discovered has started me thinking.  It's called, "House Husbands of Hollywood."  A bunch of couples in Hollywood, who happen to have the wife as the main bread winner at the moment, agreed to let the cameras of the Reality Channel follow them.  One couple includes a former baseball player and a make-up artist, another includes a former Cosby kid and the spin off, "A Different World," I think it was called star.  The other couples include actors, lawyers and talk show hosts.  They're all mostly engaging, entertaining people to watch.  I chose to watch episodes of it over reruns of shows I've seen a million times.  I was interested in seeing how this idea of role reversal played out.
I don't feel like I saw anything very surprising.  I can't say if that has to do with my age.  I feel like I grew up in a generation where I was told girls could do anything and that roles didn't have to be set.  Or if it is more of a personality thing.  I'm kind of stubborn and don't like to be told how things are supposed to be, I will want to do the opposite.  Or if society has really changed enough that it shouldn't be a surprise that people decide what's best for them as a couple and the rest of us don't care.  Who knows?  The point is it made me think about a discussion I often have at my house and hear about between men and women.  Which job is actually harder?  Can the two rolls actually be compared?  And what really happens when both people work AND supposedly take care of the house?
Whether it is the man or the woman who stays home and their spouse works, it seems the two sides can never see the others' perspective.
I've often thought that it would be more interesting to follow a couple such as my husband and me.  Not because I want to be on t.v. (my house would embarrass me too much and I would mortify Mike with my honesty too much), but a couple who do both jobs, work full time and take care of the household chores, routines and needs.  Not just any jobs though, I think what makes us so unique is that we do the exact same job everyday.  I think somebody should follow around couples with the same full time jobs.  This would eliminate some of unknowns of understanding each others' perspectives.  When the couple gets home they KNOW first hand what the other person's day was like, no guessing, or sympathizing , just understanding.  I think this would be a much more interesting, eye opening series.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting idea. I find that one of the most difficult things for us comes down to what we prioritize as most important to clean or get done at the moment. It makes me crazy when Tim is doing the cooking (he usually does the cleaning up), but can't cook in a dirty kitchen. Everyone is starving, so getting food on the table is my priority, but the dirty kitchen is making him crazy, so he wants to clean, then cook.

    ReplyDelete